top of page

Congenital Breast Anomalies

There are many different congenital anomalies that can occur on the breasts. Different parts of the breast have different specific anomalies that can occur.


Nipple Anomalies:
  • Accessory Nipples (Polythelia) — An additional nipple occurs on the breast. These nipples often have areolas just like normal nipples.

  • Congenital Nipple Inversion — This is a condition that is believed to be caused by the shortening of the breast ducts during gestation. There are procedures to correct the inversion. In some cases, inverted nipples can make breastfeeding difficult or impossible. In other cases, breastfeeding can occur without issue.

  • Athelia — This is when a person is born without a nipple or areola. There are methods to construct nipples and areolas using skin grafts.


Breast Anomalies:
  • Accessory Breasts (Polymastia) are additional breasts and skin that grow in addition to the normal breasts. There are different ways to treat this anomaly, and a skilled surgeon should be consulted to properly handle this condition.

  • Asymetry — One breast may be bigger or smaller than the other, and one breast may even be non-existent while the other breast is in its proper place on the chest.

  • Complete absence (Amastia) — This is when no breast and nipple tissue or areola complex exist.

  • Amasia is when there is no breast tissue, but an areola complex and nipple tissue exist.

  • Tubular Breasts-This is when the breasts are misshaped and appear to tube shaped or conical. This can include a lack of breast skin, asymmetrical breasts, and other factors that would lead to an abnormal appearance.

  • Poland’s Syndrome — This is when the chest, breasts, and often arms on one side of the body are underdeveloped and appear abnormal. This can include a lack of a chest muscle, a missing nipple, rib abnormalities, and possible deformation of the upper arm. The breastbone may be sunken in, as well as other chest wall abnormalities.


            If you have breast abnormalities that you want treated, see a skilled surgeon with experience doing these procedures.

bottom of page